Sunday, March 27, 2011

My Huge Jewelry Organizer



I love chunky, junky jewelry, and I'm always looking for a way to put them out on display as they are too beautiful to be hidden away in a drawer.  I have made a smaller version of this padded jewelry display before, but since my collection has grown, I was looking for something bigger with more impact.  Luckily, I already had all the materials on hand, and it only took me 30 minutes to complete this project.


I re-purposed a mirror I made to stage my last place for sale.  The 20"x40" frame came from Goodwill for $14.99.  I bought a piece of plexi mirror for $20 and cut it down to fit the frame.  As a temporary mirror, it did the job,  but the silver behind the plexi mirror began to peel, and the mirror began to warp slightly, making it look like one of those carnival mirrors.  The batting and muslim came from my quilting stash.






I cut the fabric and muslin slightly bigger than the mirror.  You'll need this extra fabric to wrap around the mirror.



Next, I wrapped and taped the fabric to the back.  Be sure to pull the fabric taut so it doesn't sag.



Place the wrapped mirror in the frame.  I got a kick out of the original price of the frame:  $158.95.





I didn't have any brackets to hold the mirror in place, so I improvised by bending some nails in place.




Flip over and enjoy your work.



Now comes the fun part - hanging your jewelry.  I had extra T-pins I used to hold the jewelry in place.  This was a super easy project, and the best part was that I didn't have to spend any money as I already had the materials.  Now I have to figure out a place to hang this where the cats won't to swat at the jewelry.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I am a Premier Jewelry Consultant and I can't wait to make this to take to my shows! WAY cheaper than buying one and SO unique! Thanks so much!!!!!! =)

Kelley said...

This idea might make my hubby happier than the painted pegboard idea I was thinking of going with.

Anonymous said...

Wow !!! you have an amazing collection !!!! http://www.leathercreationsfurniture.com/